Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Lent 2008

I am a Christian person and always try to live by it. Today is Ash Wednesday, which might bring all the Carnival lovers in my country to tears but is actually of much more significance than just the end of the crazy season. And I, personally, don't like Carnival anyway, so thank God it's over!

Today marks the last 40 days until Easter (and I can't believe it's time for this already since the year just started...). So it's Lent from now on. I've always tried to abstain from things that I like, sometimes more and sometimes less successfully. This year I've decided to do a comprehensive Lent period and abstain from more than just one thing. The things I'm going to forego are:

Alcohol - not a very hard one as I hardly drink any alcohol
Meat - I could never be a vegetarian, but I can live without meat for a while...
Sweets - that's the really hard part...
Cake & Cookies - equally hard as the above...

The only exception are birthdays where cake and cookies are usually one of the key factors. To all those who just rolled their eyes: Have you ever been to a birthday and asked for a carrot? It would simply look stupid if you just sat there, sipping on your coffee or tea and drool at all the cake. So yeah, no cake or cookies except at a birthday party.

I'll go on a concert tour in Italy with one of my choirs on Easter Sunday, which marks the end of Lent. So there really is something to look forward to in all this. I wouldn't want to abstain from anything in Italy, that'd be torture.

So... I'm resolved and plan on going through with it all. Let's see how it goes!

2 Comments:

Dogeared said...

Good luck! Though I know you'll do fine.

If you get Quorn in Germany, it's a veggie meat substitute. I especially like the pieces (chunky), which have the texture and taste almost of chicken - there's a succulence to them.

And they're low in fat, if that's helpful. I had some tonight with chopped yellow pepper and some tomatoes, for fajitas.

Anonymous said...

Hallo Christin,
ich finde das absolut bewundernswert, dass du fastest.

Ich wünsche dir viele Durchhaltevermögen. Und dann ganz ganz viel Spaß in Italien.

LG
Steffi

 

designer : anniebluesky : www.bloggeruniversity.blogspot.com